<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

https://asvdwc.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
----------------------------------------------- Blogger Template Style Name: 897 Designer: Douglas Bowman URL: www.stopdesign.com Date: 28 Feb 2004 ----------------------------------------------- */ body { background:#ccc; margin:0; padding:10px 0 14px; font:x-small Verdana,Sans-serif; text-align:center; color:#000; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } /* Page Structure ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #wrap { position:relative; top:4px; left:4px; background:#999; width:744px; margin:0 auto; text-align:left; } } @media handheld { #wrap { width:90%; } } #wrap2 { position:relative; top:-4px; left:-4px; background:#fff; padding:10px; } #content { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/no897/bg_content.gif") repeat-y left top; width:100%; font-size:85%; } @media all { #main { background:#245 url("http://www.blogblog.com/no897/corner_main.gif") no-repeat right top; width:460px; float:left; color:#fff; } #sidebar { background:#cdb url("http://www.blogblog.com/no897/corner_sidebar.gif") no-repeat left top; width:254px; float:right; padding:0; color:#356; } } @media handheld { #main { width:100%; float:none; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } #main2 { margin:0; padding:15px 20px; } #sidebar2 { margin:0; padding:2px 20px 10px; } /* Links ----------------------------------------------- */ a:link { color:#369; text-decoration:none; } a:visited { color:#776; text-decoration:none; } a:hover { color:#333; text-decoration:underline; } a img { border-width:0; } #main a:link, #main a.comment-link:visited { color:#9df; } #main a:visited { color:#7a9; } #main a:hover { color:#fff; } /* Header ----------------------------------------------- */ #header { background:#269 url("http://www.blogblog.com/no897/topleft.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 0 0 160px; margin:0 0 10px; color:#fff; width:100%; width/* */:/**/auto; width:auto; } #blog-title { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/no897/bg_header.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0; padding:40px 0 0; font:bold 275%/97px Helvetica,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:lowercase; } #blog-title a { color:#fff; text-decoration:none; } .postpage #blog-title { padding-top:0; background-position:0 -40px; } /* Description ----------------------------------------------- */ #description { background:#8df url("http://www.blogblog.com/no897/bg_desc_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0 0 10px; padding:12px 0 0; color:#fff; } #description p { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/no897/bg_desc_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:0; padding:0 0 12px; } #description em { /* To remove the word next to the desription, delete the following background property */ background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/no897/temp_no.gif") no-repeat left center; /* Keep everything below */ display:block; padding:0 0 0 160px; font:bold 75%/1.6em Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; min-height:12px; } .postpage #description em { font-size:1px; line-height:1px; color:#8df; visibility:hidden; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ .date-header { margin:0 0 .5em; font:bold 112%/1.4em Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:lowercase; color:#467; } .post { margin:0 0 2em; } .post-title { margin:0 0 .25em; font:bold 150%/1.4em Helvetica,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; color:#fff; } #main .post-title a { text-decoration:none; color:#9df; } #main .post-title a:hover { color:#fff; } .post p, .post-body { margin:0 0 .75em; line-height:1.6em; } .post-footer { color:#467; text-transform:lowercase; } .post-footer em { font-style:normal; color:#689; } .post blockquote { margin:1em 20px; padding:5px 0; border:2px solid #356; border-width:2px 0; } .post blockquote p { margin:.5em 0; } .post img { border:5px solid #fff; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments { margin:2em 0 0; border-top:2px solid #356; padding-top:1em; } #comments h4 { margin:0 0 .25em; font:bold 150%/1.4em Helvetica,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:lowercase; color:#9ec; } #comments-block { margin:0; line-height:1.6em; } .comment-poster { margin:0 0 .25em; font:bold 112%/1.4em Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:lowercase; } .comment-body, .comment-body p { margin:0 0 .75em; } p.comment-timestamp { margin:-.25em 0 2em; } #main .comment-timestamp a { color:#689; } #main .comment-timestamp a:hover { color:#9ec; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } /* Sidebar ----------------------------------------------- */ .sidebar-title { margin:1em 0 .25em; font:bold 150%/1.4em Helvetica,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; color:#fff; text-transform:lowercase; } #sidebar ul { margin:0 0 1.5em; padding:0; list-style:none; } #sidebar li { margin:0; padding:0 0 .25em 20px; text-indent:-20px; line-height:1.4em; } #sidebar p { margin:0 0 .75em; line-height:1.4em; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ #profile-container { margin:0 0 1.75em; } .profile-datablock, .profile-textblock { margin:0 0 .75em; line-height:1.4em; } .profile-img { display:inline; } .profile-img img { float:left; margin:0 10px 5px 0; border:5px solid #eed; } .profile-data { font-weight:bold; } .profile-data strong { display:none; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { clear:both; padding:10px 0 0; } #footer hr { display:none; } #footer p { margin:0; padding:5px 0; } /* Misc ----------------------------------------------- */ .clear { clear:both; display:block; height:1px; margin:0; padding:0; font-size:1px; line-height:1px; } /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { }

22 January 2009

499 friends.

When I moved to Philadelphia 3 years ago I was introduced to "facebook". Of course for all of us NWC oldtimers "facebook" was the name of the book printed each year of college with students pictures, phone number and home address. Each year we would eagerly anticpate the release of the new facebook and spend hours pouring over the pages seeing who we knew, who we'd like to know and more. But this new facebook was oh so much more... I immediately found it as a way to keep up with the Northwestern students I had just left and to start to get connected with Messiah students who were brave enough to friend me. Recently others who are not currently associated with colleges have joined this online masterpiece. And now (just like the old facebook) I sometimes find myself spending hours pouring over the pages on my computer.

Somehow, in these 3 years I've managed to collect 499 friends. 499! Do I really know that many people? Do 499 people really know may name, care to read my status updates, want to keep in touch with me? It seems crazy doesn't it? I decided to catergorize where these 499 friends came from... here's what I found:

30 are family members (and friends!)
15 are friends from growing up years (camp, youth group, etc)
38 are from high school
49 are friends from college (when I was a student at NWC)
10 are grad school friends
15 are former youth groupers when I worked with BPEFC youth group (1994 - 2001)
19 are friends I made post-college living in Minneapolis
118 are former students from my time working at NWC (1997-2005)
18 are colleagues from NWC
85 are current or former students from Messiah College, where I've worked since 2005
46 are colleagues from Messiah
11 are friends I made while living in Philly from 2005 - 2006
29 are friends from misc. places (Austria, Tijuana, Colorado, random VDWs, other)
16 are friends of friends... some of whom I've met only one time... and some I know well...

Interesting, no? I am proud to say when I went through my list of friends I knew who each one of them were and what role they have played or are currently playing in my life. I know some people have mixed feelings about facebook -- but I love it. I love keeping in touch and wishing others well. I love to see pictures of friends and their children, of college students having crazy adventures, and the rare but entertaining photos from my past. I love hearing what people are doing day-t0-day, the mundane but beautiful expressions of life. I love that there are 499 people who I can call "friend". I'm blessed.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey ASVDW!
You know, it's funny that you mention NWC's Facebook, because for the LONGEST time, that's what I thought all the hype was about at NWC when people would talk about Facebook! Like, for a whole semester, all my classmates were like "did you blah blah blah Facebook?" or "did you see .... on Facebook?" and I was thinking, "what's all the hype with a dumb yearbook?" (because the NWC version had just come out a few weeks prior). It took a roommate of mine to show me the internet-version of Facebook, and I am definitely hooked! Take care, dear!
- the former ADW

January 23, 2009 at 9:13 AM

 
Blogger jenny said...

You beat me - I only have 427 friends. I always knew you were more popular...

January 23, 2009 at 12:48 PM

 
Blogger Annette Paré Photography said...

Great post, Amy Sue VDW! You're the best... Love you, AMP.

January 31, 2009 at 12:40 PM

 
Blogger Katie Stemp said...

Amy! I love that you posted pictures of the old facebooks. I used to think that Facebook was named because of Northwestern's version. Sadly, I am sure it was not! I love reading your blog. I think of you often as I anticipate searching for jobs and moving in the next few months. I keep longing to move further west, and find that it is likely that I will move further east! :-) Hope you're doing well!!

February 2, 2009 at 9:13 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home